Angela, Digital Chef, Africa Analyst
Beef stew - West African Stew
African Beef Stew is a delectable West African stew cooked with a mixture of ingredients that is packed with flavor, depending on which country you are in you will get several different ingredients but usually a similar outcome. Tomatoes, bell peppers, and habanero peppers, garlic, and curry powder give it powerful flavors that will light up any side dish. It's really adaptable and goes well with a wide variety of foods.
This stew is made with beef cuts, but many other meats are used as well such as chicken, lamb, goat. This stew is a versatile main dish that goes well with a variety of dishes but is typically combine with rice, pasta, or cooked vegetables, and bread to soak up the stew.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 40 minutes
COOK THE BEEF:
· 1 pound of meat
· 1 quart of water
· 1 teaspoon of black pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
TO MAKE THE STEW:
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 habanero chili
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of beef broth/stock
1 tablespoon of powdered bouillon or maggie
1/2 teaspoon of thyme or chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 -1 teaspoon of curry powder, to taste.
For more flavors, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley can be added, basil leaves can be added, endless ingredients!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COOKING:
HOW TO COOK THE BEEF:
1. Cut beef into small cubes and place in pan.
2. Add water, salt, and black pepper and bring to boil.
3. Boil for for about 20-25 minutes.
TO MAKE THE STEW:
1. In a blender, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, habanero pepper, onion, garlic.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan.
3. Stir in the blended tomato and pepper mixture and bring to boil.
4. Add black pepper, thyme, bouillon powder, and curry powder
5. Add the beef and 1/2 cup of stock.
6. If necessary, add a little more broth until it reaches a stew-like consistency.
7. Add salt to preference.
8. Simmer for 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat, covered.
9. Serve with rice or bread.