Collard Greens - Kenyan Sukumawiki
Recipe Name: Sukumawiki
Subtitle: kale/ collard greens
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Sukamawiki is a healthy and economical braised collard greens full of flavor and spice. It is a popular food in Kenya.
· 1 bunch of kale or collard greens
· 1-2 cups of chopped beef or chicken
· 3 medium diced tomatoes
· 1-2 teaspoon of minced garlic
· 1 large white onion
· 2 or more tablespoons canola or cooking oil.
· 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
· ½ teaspoon coriander
· ½ teaspoon curry or turmeric spice
· ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or more
· ½ juiced lemon about 1 tablespoon.
· Tablespoon of bullion powder or cube.
In a medium large skillet, add oil, onions and garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns.
Then add tomatoes, curry, coriander and paprika, and continue stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
Add minced meat, bullion powder; stir until ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Simmer for about 5 minutes or more.
Throw in chopped collards, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until flavors have blend and greens are cooked, according to preference. Adjust seasonings-salt and pepper, turn off the heat.
Remove from Heat and let it cool. Serve with ugali.