Pilau - Kenyan Biryani
Recipe Name: Pilau
Subtitle: Rice dish
Preparation time: 1 hour
In Kenya pilau is prepared for special occasions such as weddings and for visitors. It is considered a celebration meal and is served with kachumbari.
· 500g beef
· 400g of rice or 3 cups of rice washed and soaked
· ½ teaspoon-turmeric root
· ½ teaspoon of crushed cumin seeds
· ½ teaspoon of ground garlic
· ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
· ½ teaspoon of ground black peppercorns
· 2 diced onions
· 3 tomatoes
· Vegetable cooking oil
· 2 teaspoon of cinnamon bark
· 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
· ¼ teaspoon cloves.
In a cooking pot, fry onions until cooked
Add in all your spices and allow it cook for 2-3 minutes
Add meat and let cook
Pour in the rice and stir to combine the meat with the rice
Add 1 ¾ cups water and bring to a boil over high heat with the cooking pot uncovered.
Once the water level has gone down , lower the heat, cover with foil paper or brown kitchen paper and cook for further 2-3 mins or until the water has dried up.
Turn off the heat and serve hot