Vegan vegetable tagine - Moroccan
Recipe Name: Moroccan vegetable tagine
Subtitle: simmered stew
Preparation time: 55 minutes
This recipe has all the components to make a wonderful meal, roasted veggies, rich in tomato sauce with spicy harissa gravy. This dish is vegan and is gluten free.
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· 2 medium yellow onion pealed and chopped.
· 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
· 2 large carrots peeled and chopped.
· 2 large russet potatoes peeled and cubed.
· 1 large, sweet potato peeled and cubed.
· 1 tbsp harissa spice blend
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· ½ tsp ground turmeric
· 2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
· ½ cup heaping chopped dried apricot
· 1-quart low sodium vegetable broth
· 2 cups cooked chickpeas
· 1 lemon juiced
· Handful fresh parsley leaves.
In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until just shimmering. Add onions and increase heat to medium high. Sauté for 5 minutes, tossing regularly.
Add garlic and all the chopped veggies. Season with salt and spices. Toss to combine.
Add tomatoes, apricot and broth. Season again with small dash of salt.
Keep the heat on medium high and cook for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Stir chickpeas and cook another 5 minutes on low heat.
Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend to your liking.
Transfer to serving bowls and top each with generous drizzle of extra virgin oil. Serve hot with your favorite bread, couscous or rice.