Yellow Rice - South African recipe
Native to South Africa, yellow rice is quick to prepare since all the ingredients are instantly placed into the rice and allowed to cook. Yellow Rice can be eaten as a main dish or with gravy.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 1 ½ cups jasmine rice or basmati rice, well rinsed
• 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 2 ¼ cups low-salt chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon (scant) salt
• ½ teaspoon (scant) turmeric
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add shallot and garlic; sauté until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
Add rice, broth, salt, and turmeric.
Bring rice to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
Serve with your favorite main dish!